Monday, September 1, 2014

DD's=Difficult Dishes

Part 1: August 20th 2014 I moved into my apartment.  In the kitchen of my marvelous abode, there was a used cereal bowl, presumably that mornings breakfast for Dwight or Alfred.  August 27th, the same bowl has not moved, but it's comrades and other dishware have made it to the sink, and have stayed there....for a week... Both sink wells are full.  Long story short, I do a weeks worth of dishes because well, I need the sink!!  After the fact I approach my roommate men, "Hey guys, new rule: Everyone does their own dishes! Okey thaaaaanks!!"
I am learning that dishes are a thing that guys in general absolutely despise with every bone in their body.

Part 2: Labor Day weekend=a long weekend to see long lost pals and celebrate their birthdays!! I grab the garbage to deposit in the correct disposal bin before I vanish for a weekend.  As I pull it out, my nostrils are assailed with the sickly sweet smell of something that is rotting and probably growing life on it's decomposing self.  Someone had thrown something into the garbage when it had been bagless, then proceeded to put a bag on top of it, multiple times. Ugh. Ugh. Yuckyuckyuck.  I force my brain to stop thinking for a few minutes so I can scoop out and dispose of the rottenness with a safely bagged hand.  Dish soaaaapppp. Lots of dish sooooaaaapppp and boiling water are combined into the bacterial and fungal utopia that is our garbage.  I kindly request that one of them wipes it out and wish all a fabulous weekend. Vrooooommmm I am off!!

Part 3, where it aaaallll comes full circle:  Fast forward to the current day when I arrive after a fabulous weekend filled with friendsto an apartment that smells rather funky...I am beyond terrified to what I will find.  According to Alfred, the kitchen floor is soaked, causing the fishy, mildewy, kind of rotty smell.  He thinks it's because of the water that was in the garbage can and leaked out. "I'll take care of it when we get back." Um this wet, carpeted, floor has been drenched since Saturday....let that sink in...yeah okey; I deposit my travel things into my closet, er bedroom, and cautiously stake out the kitchen scenario. Carpet is indeed drenched so channeling my mother, I dump almost a whole box of baking soda onto the floor and grab a fan.  That done, for now, my peripheral eye spies the sink.  The sink that has 2 soaked rags in the bottom of it.  The sink that has salsa remnants in it from Saturday.  The sink that has dishes with food still clinging to their ceramic sides as they sit on top of the salsa remnants.  The sink that I am pretty sure is the other source of the joyous smells in our apartment.  Cue frantic, panicked digging for the chocolate chips.  C'mon, C'mon I know they're in here... ahhhhhhh!!!!! Oh wait! There you are you devils!  It's not nice to hide in my time of need.  I pace. I almost scream. Can't focus Can't focus. Call friend. Rant.  Pace I can't do this...Discover ashes or something on the coffee table. IamhereforawholeyearIcan'tdothiswhyyyy. Blog.  This blog shall be my sanity keeper.  In hind sight I feel I overreacted but my word.    I feel like I may be stepping into a motherly role this next year...Any of you with imaginations, please tell me how you see that going.  The first step in my motherly duties: Instill the importance of clean dishes (and dish towels) and explain the unfortunate, potentionally health hazards that result from cleaning things.  As friends and acquanitances know, I am untidy.  However, I am not dirty.  This year I think I am going to have to learn to be both.  Organization tips from anyone will be appreciated.  Seriously.
Wait...what is that sound.. HARK!!!! IT IS THE SINK! IT IS THE MAGICAL SOUND OF SILVERWARE HITTING THE SINK BOTTOM, THE MIRACULOUS NOISE OF THE FAUCET LOVINGLY WASHING AWAY FOOD, THEN SOAP SUDS! OH HALLELUJAH! mIRACLES HAPPEN FOLK!
(I'd love to say that was an exaggeration of my reaction but it was not)
Alfred and Dwight are nice guys.  Truly.  Easy enough to chat with and such.  It's just....cleaning? Just once and a while? Please?

5 comments:

  1. I think you made need a shop vac too;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the extras...adds a bit more humor to the entertaining posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omgosh!!! Stachley you are so hilarious and this just makes me miss all the more (and the days at Biggby Tornado!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shop Vac....sounds like a grand idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha thanks Sami! Baha oh the glory days I tell you....

    ReplyDelete